- What was the most significant health IT development over the past year?
- What was the biggest disappointment or missed opportunity in the health IT space in 2012?
- Looking forward to 2013, what are the biggest remaining barriers to widespread adoption and meaningful use of health IT? And, what can be done to help address those challenges?
The panel ranges from e-Patient Dave to John Sharp (research informaticist at the Cleveland Clinic) to Janet Marchibroda (chair of the Bipartisan Policy Center's Health IT Initiative).
A few themes emerge:
- The importance of patient empowerment and engagement, particularly as incorporated into Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements
- The proliferation of and opportunities presented by mobile health technology
- Controversies over the delayed implementation of ICD-10
- Issues of privacy and security
- The uncertain impact of Accountable Care Organizations
- The ability of EHR's to facilitate potentially fraudulent upcoding for services (comments on both sides of this issue)
There seems little doubt that in 2013 technology will continue to be a key theme of healthcare delivery and policymaking at every level.