Friday, October 12, 2012

Help me show a group of physicians the power of social media

I'm going to be giving Grand Rounds for the Department of Medicine at University of California, Irvine School of Medicine on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at noon PDT, as I mentioned in an earlier blog post. The title of my talk is "Social Media and the Digital Physician - #UCIMedGrandRounds." Since it would probably be a wee bit too challenging to try to livetweet my talk while actually giving my talk (I'm good, but not THAT good), I decided to pre-schedule a series of tweets using HootSuite with the #UCIMedGrandRounds" hashtag, to be posted during the talk, roughly correlated to the topics I am covering at the time. I fully plagiarized this idea from @colleen_young, who pulled this off in spectacular fashion I am told at the 2012 #Med2 conference in Boston - props to you!

So I am hoping that my Twitter community will join in the fun next Tuesday 10/16 at noon Pacific time. Please follow the #UCIMedGrandRounds hashtag that day, and "wave" to the audience by introducing yourselves to them via Twitter. I'll send out a few reminders at the start of the talk. While I don't know how social media savvy my physician audience will be, since it's an academic medical center I suspect that penetration of Twitter may be fairly minimal. I am hoping we can generate a little buzz by showing them the power of connection and interaction that we find in social media. Maybe we will get a few converts! Thanks.

1 comment: